Perks and Drawbacks of Traveling Alone
From beach retreats to artsy escapes, Lagos got multiple superb options for your next solo trip.
Are you worried about traveling alone? Oh, don’t be. Step out of your shell. You may start by planning a short vacay in Lagos, eating alone, talking to strangers, or taking selfies. Your call. Finding a good travel buddy can be a daunting task. They can make or break a trip; either way, it will take some work on your end. Going on a vacation alone is a great way to relax your senses and broaden your horizons.
Yes, most people love spending vacations with family and friends; some prefer going solo. Traveling alone has its perks and drawbacks. Though the disadvantages of traveling alone might exasperate your fears or make you anxious, the advantages of solo travel outweigh the disadvantages.
Advantages to Travelling Alone
1. Your schedule, your decision. Chances of skipping meals for great solo vacation activities (like skydiving) are high. You rule. When you feel like renting a bike instead of taking the subway, remember you don’t have anyone to please. You are free to explore Lagos city for an extra hour instead of taking an earlier train to the next place. You won’t hear anyone saying, “I’m hungry” or “I have to pee right this second.” You’re on your own, and you rule.
2. Self-check. While you are busy checking on trips to take alone, you learn to trust yourself and the people around you. That once you ride the subway or subways in many languages, you can get a little savvy.
3. New challenges. Now that you have no one to turn to, you’’ hear no. “It’s okay if you don’t want to do it. You may do it next time.” Push yourself past your limits, or you go home and sleep. Even going on vacation alone could mean paragliding on a whim–just like the only way to make this experience everything you imagined it could be.
4. Nobody to please. Look back. Remember your travel buddy who is homesick and wants to go back to the hotel or apartment you booked? When your partner is upset, you are often caught up in a crossfire. Now, check out the bar down the street for a drink or three (for a stranger). You make the rules and don’t have to worry about anyone but yourself.
5. Stranger Things. You won’t understand the kindness others could offer unless you are lost. Today is the best time to realize that there’s way more kindness and goodness in the world than you knew. Great solo vacation, indeed.
While traveling alone has perks, there are a few drawbacks to consider:
1. There’s no one to share embarrassing stories with. Yes, it’s self-fulfilling to settle things on your terms. But, have you ever seen a breathtaking view, then you let out a long sigh since there’s no one to hear you. Some days, wishing to have someone with whom to share new experiences is cool.
2. Other travelers are with their groups, don’t bother. Introverts are always having a hard time crashing their shells when going on a vacation alone. It can be difficult for them to ask questions, especially when you only know a little bit of the language. You have to force yourself to be extroverted to make new friends.
3. The road can get lonely. While feeling a little homesick is normal, it is a lot easier when you have a familiar face with you telling you it’s okay and that you’re there for a reason.
4. Traveling alone costs an arm and leg. Let’s admit it. Great solo vacations do not have economies of scale. Meaning trips to take alone and its elements will be more expensive. Accommodation with the dreaded solitary supplement will charge you unfair singles tax. On the brighter side, you may opt to share a room in smaller groups.
5. You have to think thrice of your personal safety. Traveling alone does not actually expose you to danger. But, it does involve risk, regardless of whether you are a solo traveler or not.
What better way to embrace your solo trip than actually, you know, spending some time alone?
You are traveling alone, not guilt-tripping (no pun intended). You should start eating alone and stop being ashamed of requesting a table for one. It’s your call. With lots of trips to take alone, there’s no way you should be guilty of how the waiter theatrically removes the place settings for your invisible dining companion.
The purpose of traveling is unchanging, regardless of going on a vacation alone or with a partner. Nobody’s holding you back unless you got an upset travel buddy. The next time you’re tempted to travel alone, check our apartments for short let here. Safe travels!